Tomato Cracker Salad is a simple southern dish that is a must for summer. I know it sounds strange, but if you like tomato sandwiches, you’ll like this. Ripe summer tomatoes are combined with mayonnaise and broken saltine crackers. This is a recipe that’s been made throughout the south for many years. There are slight variations on the recipe. The basic recipe includes chopped ripe summer tomatoes with seeds & pulp removed, mayonnaise, salt and pepper, and broken crackers. I like it best while the crackers are still crunchy so serve it immediately. After about an hour the crackers soften to the consistency of mashed potatoes. Some people like me add minced fresh basil, chopped green onions, and garlic. Another group add a chopped egg. With the egg addition it gives you protein for your lunch. If you haven’t tried Tomato & Cracker Salad, remember it when you have loads of fresh tomatoes and want to eat them fast.
Southern Tomato & Crackers Salad
Use organic when available. Serves 6
Tomato & Crackers Salad
- 4 ripe fresh medium tomatoes of choice – heritage, Campari, cherry
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers broken into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 oz chopped fresh basil
- 1 green onion sliced
- pinch of garlic powder
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- optional chopped hard boiled egg
- Seed and chop tomatoes
- Place tomatoes on a paper towel for 5 or 10 minutes
- Combine mayonnaise, salt, pepper, garlic, and basil in large bowl
- Whisk to blend
- Fold in tomatoes
- Fold in broken crackers
- Optional add chopped hard-boiled egg
This post was featured at:
Thanks for the visit. Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.