Al Fresco Uncured Chicken Bacon has 70% less fat and 40% less sodium than pork bacon. Now I’ve tried turkey bacon before and expected something similar. I stand corrected. Tasted like regular bacon with great flavor. It comes both uncooked and precooked and ready to use. If you’re interested in trying it, check out your zip code for stores in the USA that sell it. This is NOT a sponsored post.
Memorial Day is coming soon with the remembrance of those who gave their lives for our country. It also marks the beginning of summer for most of us in the USA. Today I’m sharing a simple cold appetizer which is perfect for cookouts, parties, and other get-togethers. It’s an easy recipe for stuffed cherry tomatoes with bacon crumbles, parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, green onion, and parsley. Emptying the little tomatoes and stuffing them may be a little messy, but it’s not hard to do.
I must first discuss bacon which despite its outstanding taste, can be bad for your health with a high fat and salt level. As I’ve written before, I haven’t bought pork bacon in years for health reasons. I currently use Al Fresco Chicken Bacon. I buy the pre-cooked bacon and heat it in the microwave for 10 seconds. It comes out crispy and warm and has 70% less fat and 40% less salt than regular bacon. The miracle is the taste is just like pork bacon!
Second I must emphasize the importance of using fresh ingredients like grated parmesan. Don’t use bacon bits or a can of grated parmesan if you want great flavor. Crumble the cooked bacon and add the mayonnaise, green onion, fresh parsley, and fresh grated parmesan. Stuff the cherry tomatoes and cover the dish with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours and then serve cold. They will disappear; I guarantee that and you might want to double the recipe for crowds. Garnish with parsley or green onion if desired.
Stuffed Bacon & Cheese Cherry Tomatoes
Use organic when available. Makes approximately 8 servings with 2 pints of cherry tomatoes.
Bacon & Cheese Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes (about 24)
- 1 lb bacon cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or mayonnaise substitute
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Cook bacon, drain, and crumble
- Cut a very small portion of the bottom of each tomato so that they stand upright
- Cut a small slice from the top of each cherry tomato
- Using a melon baller or a small spoon carefully scoop out the seeds and pulp of each tomato & discard
- Place each little tomato upside down on a paper towel to drain
- In a bowl, stir together mayonnaise, parmesan, garlic, bacon, green onions, and parsley until well blended
- Stuff each cherry tomato with the bacon mixture using a very small spoon
- Garnish with fresh parsley, green onions, or other herbs as desired
- Cover tray of stuffed tomatoes and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours to blend flavors
- Serve chilled
Thanks for the visit. Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.