I hope everyone had a wonderful day yesterday. We’re now in the days before New Year’s, and I couldn’t resist sharing this recipe. This tasty and easy dish is perfect for this time of year. Have left over cranberry sauce? Add it to a spicy barbecue sauce for a wonderful chicken meal with rice, mashed potatoes, or pasta. You can use a whole cut up chicken or specific parts like legs and thighs. I like using bone-in chicken for greater flavor, but you could use boneless, skinless chicken. You can also adapt the recipe to use with turkey legs or meatballs too. For any changes, you may have to adapt amounts of ingredients in sauce or cooking time depending on meat weight chosen. If you’re still eating left overs, try this sauce with turkey or ham sandwiches. It’s very versatile.
Cranberry Barbecue Chicken
Use organic when available. Serves 4 to 6
Cranberry Barbecue Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- Spray 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray or grease
- Add olive oil to large skillet over medium high heat
- Add salt and pepper to chicken
- Place chicken parts in skillet and brown on both sides
- Remove chicken and place in baking dish skin side up
- In pan drippings sauté onion and celery for about 2 minutes
- Add garlic and cayenne pepper and sauté for 1 minute
- Stir in barbecue sauce and cranberry sauce
- Bring to a light simmer and mix well
- Set aside 1/2 cup of sauce
- Pour rest of barbecue cranberry sauce over chicken
- Cook uncovered about 50 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through
- Baste about every 15 minutes
- Garnish with herbs and a spoon of left over sauce
- Goes well with brown rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes
Happy New Year!
This post was featured at:
Thanks for the visit. Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.
11 thoughts to “Cranberry Barbecue Chicken”
…cranberry will add some zing.
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas too.
This sounds like a great way to use over leftovers. I love cranberry sauce.
That’s a real festive looking recipe and delicious too. Thank you Carol!
Looks colorful, tasty, and festive. Great recipe
Looks delicious. Hope you’re enjoying this holiday season and all the best for the coming year, dear Carol.
This sounds delicious. I love the combination of the barbeque and cranberry sauce.
thanks Donna – Happy New Year!
This sounds so delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with us. Pinned.
Looks delicious. Thank you for sharing at #aclwcc.
I hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year. I pinned this recipe. Love anything with cranberries. Congratulations, you are being featured on Thursday Favorite Things. I hope you stop by. https://www.eclecticredbarn.com/2023/01/traveling-and-thursday-favorite-things.html
Thank you so much for the feature Beverly. I’ll drop by when the linky opens. Happy 2023!