This week I’m doing my recipe early due to Memorial Day. Traditionally summer starts with Memorial Day. Wishing you all a day of safe time with family with a few moments remembering those who served our country. Now let’s talk about cole slaw.
Peaches are one of my favorite fruits. Peaches are available from April to October. Since Florida is a hot state, you probably think we don’t grow peaches. Peaches do grow here in mostly the north part of the state. Our peaches are available April and May. By June our markets are selling Georgia peaches. No matter the state where they are grown, I just love fresh ripe peaches. I love them as my snack or dessert and also like adding them to many dishes.
Peaches are so good for you too. I wrote about the health benefits when I first started blogging. Peaches are loaded with Vitamin C and A. They’re a great source of potassium, iron, and Vitamin K. They have anti-inflammatory properties, and a medium peach only has about 50 calories!
Today’s recipe is coleslaw with peaches. I’ve seen similar dishes in some restaurants and even Trader Joe sells it. My recipe is similar to Trader Joe’s with a few modifications. If you’d like your onions to have a pickled flavor, mix vinegar and sugar and marinate diced onions for at least 5 minutes. I suggest you marinate overnight and drain vinegar and reserve for dressing. You can buy a cabbage and carrots to shred or for a fast dish use a 16 oz. bag of shredded cabbage and carrots. Add the goodies and you’re ready for a cookout. Summer time means it’s time for a cold salad of cabbage, carrots, peaches and raisins!
Peach Cole Slaw
Use organic when available
- 16 oz bag of cole slaw or mix of shredded cabbage and carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 large ripe peaches diced
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 2 tbsp unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In small bowl mix vinegar and sugar
- Optional - Add diced red onion and let it quick pickle for about 5 to 15 minutes
- Optional - Drain onions and reserve vinegar for dressing
- In large bowl combine cabbage/carrots with onion and raisins
- In the bowl of vinegar solution add mayonaise and salt and pepper
- Mix dressing well
- Toss cabbage mix with dressing
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
- Toss diced peaches into slaw right belore serving cold
Wishing you a safe and happy holiday remembering those who served our country.
If you liked this post, you might like:
Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.