Today I’m presenting a nutrient-dense power breakfast of basil pesto quinoa with eggs. Add a little kale and carrot with a few roasted tomatoes to your quinoa, and you have great flavor and nutrition. Have you tried quinoa? Quinoa is a nutritious grain that is so versatile you can use it in many recipes calling for rice.
Pesto quinoa with eggs is a vegetarian recipe if you use vegetable stock, but you could easily adapt it for a vegan meal by also omitting the eggs. To save time I suggest you make a pot of quinoa according to package directions ahead of time. It will warm up easily when making the dish. What is most important is the sequence in assembling your bowl. While the quinoa cooks, make the basil pesto dressing. With these two ingredients ready to go, the meal is quick to assemble. Fix 2 eggs the way you prefer: over easy, scrambled, or poached. Saute your diced tomatoes in a little olive oil until roasted. Using chicken or vegetable stock, saute your kale and carrots for 1 minute and then add the cooked quinoa. After cooking for another two minutes, move quinoa mix to a bowl. Place roasted tomatoes on top of the quinoa. Crown your quinoa bowl with two cooked eggs. Drizzle basil pesto dressing over bowl and sprinkle with feta. Garnish with fresh herbs or green onions.
Pesto Quinoa & Eggs
Use organic when available. 1 Serving
Pesto Quinoa and Eggs
- 2 cooked eggs
- 1/2 cup kale washed and chopped
- 3 oz chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 oz carrots cut into thin sticks
- 8 oz cooked Quinoa
- 1/2 oz Feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 oz roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 oz basil pesto dressing
- 1 tsp fresh herbs like parsley, or chopped green onion
Basil Pesto Dressing
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 peeled clove garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook two eggs by frying, poaching etc.
- Heat 3 oz of chicken or vegetable stock in sauce pan over medium high heat
- Add chopped kale and carrot sticks
- Sauté for one minute
- Add cooked quinoa
- Sauté for 2 minutes
- Place quinoa mix in bowl and drop roasted tomatoes on top
- Crown with two cooked eggs
- Dribble pesto dressing over quinoa bowl
- Garnish with feta cheese and herbs or chopped green onions
Basil Pesto Dressing
- Combine basil, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor or blender
- Blend until smooth
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Store in glass container with lid in refrigerator
This post was featured at:
Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.