Today we’re doing food art for spring and Easter. It’s a classic bunny cake that has been around since the 1950’s.
You can use cake mix or your favorite cake recipe for two 8″ or 9″ cake pans. I like the coconut version with coconut added to a white or yellow cake and patted on the white icing to make a white bunny look. I’ve also seen it done without coconut and even in chocolate for an adorable brown bunny. I think almost any flavor cake would work.
One cake is the head and the second is cut for other parts. Above are two ears on the sides and the middle piece becomes the bow tie below the rabbit head. You can cover a tray with aluminum foil, parchment paper, or even a big doily. If you like, you can use food color to make some pink icing or coconut for the ears and green to make grass around the bunny head. You can place bunny ears turning up or down.
The easiest decorating is based on white icing, coconut, jelly beans, and other candies like licorice or Twizzlers. If you are a talented cake decorator with icing, I’ve seen very artistic cakes cut in this shape and totally decorated with icing for eyes, nose, mouth, whiskers, and even flowers. This is a great holiday activity with the kids. Let them decorate the bunny cake.
Easter Bunny Cake
Use organic when available. Makes 12 servings.
Easter Bunny Cake
- 2 8" or 9" layers of yellow or white cake
- 4 cups flaked coconut
- white icing for 2 layer cake
- optional food coloring for coconut or icing
- candy for decorations
- Prepare cake batter as directed on cake mix package or in your cake recipe adding in 1/2 cup of coconut
- Pour half of batter in each of two greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans
- Bake as directed
- Remove cake and let cool
- Cover serving tray with aluminum foil or doily
- Remove cakes from pans
- Place one whole 9 inch cake layer on serving tray
- Cut 2 convex shaped ears from each side of the second layer
- Place ears on each side of head to form ears
- Use concave shaped piece for the bowtie, place about 1/2 inch below head
- Frost each piece of bunny with white icing covering top and sides of bunny.
- Frost bowtie with colored icing such as blue or green
- Pat remaining coconut evenly over top and sides of bunny head and ears
- Use colored frosting, jelly beans, licorice, etc. to decorate cake as desired; licorice can be cut in thin strings for whiskers
If you liked this post, you might like:
This post was featured at:
Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.