My recipe today is a simple but impressive holiday treat of small peppermint kisses made of meringue and crushed peppermint candies. You can drop them by teaspoonful or use a pastry bag. Before you make the cookies, check your oven temperature. Put a thermometer in your oven and see how accurate it is. If your oven is too hot, your meringues will fail. Bake until the meringues are no longer glossy and feel light and dry when picked up, about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.
Peppermint Meringue Cookies
- room temperature egg whites from 2 eggs
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 peppermint candy canes crushed
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C)
- Line 2 cookie trays with parchment paper
- Beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar to soft peaks in large glass bowl
- Continue to beat gradually adding sugar until whites form still peaks
- Drop by spoonfuls one inch apart on prepared cookie sheets
- Sprinkle crushed peppermint candy over cookies
- Bake for about 1 1/2 hours until dry but not browned
- Turn off oven
- Leave oven door ajar and let cookies cool in oven (about 3 hours)
- Store in air tight container at room temperature up to 2 days
Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.