Sometimes the simplest things are the best. Sugar cookies are a great example of that. A simple cookie that can translated into many treats with icing and decorations. Today’s recipe is a simple sugar cookie with the addition of one of my favorite flavors, lemon. It’s a pretty basic recipe with the addition of lemon juice and lemon zest.
To make the cookies pretty the tops of the balls of dough are dipped in sparkling sugar right before baking. Sparkling sugar has a coarse texture and a brilliant sparkle that makes cupcakes, cookies and cakes really shine.
Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup soft butter or margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C)
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- In small bowl mix flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda
- In large bowl beat butter and granulated sugar until well mixed
- Add egg
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract
- Add dry ingredients and mix until combined
- Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Scoop out dough and form a ball
- Dip top of dough in sparkling sugar
- Place cookie dough 2 inches apart on baking sheets
- Bake about 12 minutes or until edges of cookies are golden brown
- Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes
- Remove to cooling rack
Get a glass of milk and enjoy your fresh baked lemon cookies!
This post was featured at:
Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.