I just love peaches. Besides being a fabulous tasting fruit, peaches are also very healthy for you. Loaded with anti-oxidants, Vitamin C and A , peaches are low in calories (39 in 100 grams). They contain flavonoid poly phenolic antioxidants such as lutein, zea-xanthin and ß-cryptoxanthin, which help act as protective scavengers against oxygen-derived free radicals. See my post, Peaches A Great Addition For A Healthy Diet, for more information.
Florida has a very warm year-round average climate. As a result, Florida peaches are in season much earlier than most peaches. Florida peaches begin to be harvested in the late spring during the months of April and May. Many of you may have heard of the fabulous southern Georgia peaches which ripen from mid-May until August. Today’s recipe is for an easy peach crisp with oatmeal. If your local peaches aren’t ripe yet, you can use defrosted frozen peaches or hold onto this recipe until summer.
- 4 cups sliced fresh peaches
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C)
- Arrange sliced peaches in 8 x 8 baking dish or a large iron skillet
- Mix flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl using a pastry cutter until evenly crumbled
- Fold in oats
- Sprinkle dough on top of peaches
- Press top of dough onto peaches covering them
- Bake until lightly browned about 30 minutes
- Optional top with whipped cream or scoop of ice cream
Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.