Today’s recipe is a favorite of many folks including me, a perfect comfort food. Do all the prep work and then slow cook the lamb shanks for a delicious meat falling off the bone. Braised lamb shanks are slowly simmered with fresh rosemary, garlic, tomatoes, and red wine.
Lamb shanks are an inexpensive cut of meat but slow cooking turns this tough cut of lamb into the most tender and delectable meal. Add mashed potatoes and green beans to make a meal fit for company.
Rosemary Braised Lamb Shanks
- 6 lamb shanks
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can tomato sauce (about 15 oz)
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried rosemary)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Salt and pepper lamb shanks
- Heat oil in heavy large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat
- Brown lamb shanks for about 8 minutes; may work in batches
- Transfer lamb shanks to plate
- Add onions and carrots to pot
- Saute until soft about 4 minutes
- Add garlic and saute another minute
- Add tomato paste and stir to coat vegetables
- Pour in broth and tomato sauce and stir
- Place lamb shanks back in pot and cover with sauce
- Add rosemary and bring to a boil
- Cover and place pot in oven
- Cook until lamb shanks are tender about 2 hours
- Remove lamb shanks and tent with foil
- Remove rosemary from sauce
- Place pot on stove over medium heat
- Add wine and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat
- Simmer 10 to 15 minutes until sauce thickens
- Serve lamb with mashed potatoes or rice
- Spoon sauce over lamb shanks
I hope you enjoy the braised lamb shanks. Have a great day!
Thanks for the visit. Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.