This tasty combination of lentils, brown rice, and warm spices makes a great entree or side dish. It’s also great for a meatless meal since the combination of lentils and brown rice make a perfect protein. Lentils are inexpensive and easy to throw into any stew or soup for protein and fiber.
You can personalize lentils and brown rice with the addition of more veggies to make a great one dish meal that’s vegetarian if you use vegetable stock. Try garnishing it with caramelized onions or sautéed green beans & carrots in garlic butter sauce. A dollop of Greek yogurt on top is another option.
Brown Rice & Lentils
- 5 cups vegetable stock or chicken
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 lemon juiced and outer skin grated
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 dollop optional Greek yogurt
- Combine stock, coriander, cumin, salt, and bay leaf in large pot
- Heat to boiling on high
- Add brown rice and lentils and stir
- Saute onion in olive oil for 2 minutes
- Add garlic and stir until onions are softened about 3 to 4 minutes
- Add onions and garlic to rice and lentils
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low
- Simmer for about 40 to 45 minutes or until rice is cooked
- Fluff with fork
- Add lemon juice and zest and toss to combine
- Optional Garnish with caramelized onion or sautéed green beans & carrots in garlic butter sauce
- Optional Add a dollop of Greek yogurt on top and serve
Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.