It dawned on me the other day that I’ve shared many salads but have never talked about bundling all the fresh veggies into a compact food to be held in your hand. Wraps and rolls are very popular. My sister loves rolls made with rice paper as in spring Vietnamese vegetable rolls. Others like me love using flour tortillas or pitas to wrap all kinds of great taste.
Today I’m sharing a hummus spring vegetable wrap with several options on how to wrap it. If you are looking for gluten-free, use the rice paper, or corn tortilla to roll up your goodies. For grain-free, use romaine lettuce leaves, cabbage leaf or even a collard leaf to hold it all together. If you wish to try a collard wrap, first remove the large rib and cut collard leaf in half. Overlap the two cut sides and fill with your veggies. This is a vegan vegetable wrap with vegetarian options. It’s a great addition to your meatless meals and can be adapted to what is currently in the market. You can easily replace ingredients with your choice of vegetables. Mix them up with yummy hummus flavors and your favorite seasonings or try it with a herb dip. For egg lovers, add egg to the vegetables.
For spring I’m using hummus, spring greens, tomato, avocado, shredded carrot & cucumber, and a drizzle of vinaigrette all wrapped up in an extra roomy flour tortilla. Leafy greens are a super food that we all need to eat more of. I prefer spinach or beet tortilla for extra flavor and nutrition but a good whole wheat wrap works great too. Vegetarian options include the addition of shredded cheese or scrambled egg but for vegans there are some tasty substitutes for those too. Add seasoned rice or quinoa for a more filling wrap. They’re great to make for multiple lunches or parties, as they are easy to make, portable and require no immediate refrigeration.
Spring Vegetable Wraps
Use organic when available, serves one
Spring Vegetable Wrap
- 1 8 inch spinach or whole wheat flour tortilla (or collard or romaine leaf)
- 1/2 ripe avocado peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/3 cup hummus or dip
- 1 handful of shredded carrots
- 1/2 tomato diced
- 1/2 small cucumber cut lengthwise and then thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded spring greens with cabbage, lettuce
- Dash of favorite vinaigrette
- Options: add sprouts, micro greens, scrambled egg, or replace tortilla with collard leaf
- Spread hummus on the bottom third of the wrap or leaf
- Layer cucumber, tomato, avocado, spring greens, and carrots
- Sprinkle vegetables with your favorite vinaigrette
- Fold the wrap tightly tucking in all veggies and keep folding to end
- Cut in half or thirds
- Serve with bean chips and ice tea
For a spicy hummus check out Easy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Like spinach artichoke dip? Check out Spinach Artichoke Hummus.
Go Mediterranean with eggplant and white bean hummus.
This post was featured at:
Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.