Decades ago when I was in college, the college cafeteria introduced me to new exotic food. One dish that I dearly loved was a unique Korean dish with thin sliced beef. Its name was bulgogi but my friends and I called it “bull doggy.” Oh my eyes lit up when I saw it from the cafeteria line.
Many years later I was eating dinner with my sister and her husband. He was an outstanding cook. He came to the table carrying a platter filled with delicious beef. It had been many years since I ate in that college cafeteria. He said he had loved a dish at the Korean restaurant and searched and found a recipe. He was trying it for the first time, bulgogi. I shouted you made “bull doggy”. Turns out he had also nicknamed it bull doggy and we all had a great laugh. Oh my it was good.
Traditionally the dish can be made on a grill or in a pan on the stove. It is considered Korean BBQ. Like most classic dishes, there are variations to the recipe. I’ve never had it cooked by a true Korean cook, but I’ve read that it can be quite a spicy treat rolled in lettuce with Korean red pepper paste. Adjust the spices to meet your family’s needs. Serve with rice or noodles.
Use organic when available, makes 4 servings
- 1 lb flank steak thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp Korean red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Place beef in dish
- Combine onions, soy sauce, sugar, sesame seeds, garlic, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, ginger, and black pepper in a bowl
- Pour mixture over beef and cover
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or over night
- Heat skillet over medium heat
- Cook steak and marinade in hot skillet
- Add honey to caramelize the steak
- Cook for about 5 minutes until steak is cooked through
- Remove to platter
- Garnish with chopped green onion tops (optional)
- Serve with rice (or noodles) with broccoli, green beans, or pea pods
This post was featured at:
Thanks for the visit. Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.