I’m a huge soup fan. Start with a great broth, add fresh vegetables and herbs, and enjoy a fast, healthy meal. Today let’s talk about meat ball soup. For a warm bowl of Italian comfort. try this soup which is similar to Italian Wedding soup. I enjoy eating delicious food, but you know I like to keep it healthy. I’m using extra-lean ground beef with eggs and bread crumbs for my meatballs. The beef has great flavor and less fat. You could also use ground turkey or chicken. Let the meatballs cook in the broth with pasta or potatoes and you have a tasty meal with crusty whole-grain bread or cheese toast. I keep the meatballs smaller like 3/4″ to cook faster and to fit into your soup spoon.
With 20 minutes prep work and 25 minutes cooking, this hearty soup can be on the table in 45 minutes. If you have diced the carrots, onions, etc. ahead of time, this is a fast meal for a cool evening when you don’t have hours to cook. Use home-made chicken stock ( or even beef stock) or buy several cartons if you’re in a hurry. I often buy the organic chicken stock at Aldi. Inexpensive without a bunch of names I can’t pronounce, Aldi’s organic chicken stock is a great time saver. It comes in a paper carton not a can. This is another way to avoid chemicals. This is not a sponsored post; I’m just sharing my sources of healthy food. If you have left overs, you might need to add a little more broth the next day as the pasta can soak up broth in the refrigerator.
TIP: If you love this soup like me, you can double the meatballs and freeze half for a fast meal another time.
Easy Meatball Soup
Use organic when available – need grain-free? Use potatoes instead of pasta
Easy Meatball Soup
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 1 to 2 eggs depending on size
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese & extra for garnish
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 diced onion (3 tablespoons minced)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup diced celery or 3 medium celery stalks
- 1 cup diced carrots or about 3 medium carrots
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups thinly sliced spinach
- 1 cup small pasta like seashell
- 2 cups Optional diced potatoes instead of pasta
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine beef, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, basil & 3 T onion
- Combine & shape mixture into 3/4-inch balls; (smaller size helps it fit your spoon to eat)
- Set aside
- In large pot heat chicken stock to a boil
- Stir in spinach, pasta, parsley, onion, garlic, celery, carrot & meatballs
- Bring to boil again
- Reduce heat to medium
- Cook for 13 minutes stirring frequently until pasta is al dente; Meatballs should no longer be pink inside
- Serve hot with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top with crusty bread
This post was featured at:
Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared