There is a bounty of luscious tomatoes at the farmer’s market, Tasty Tuesday. I have had so much fun eating all the juicy varieties available. Today let’s talk Heirloom Tomatoes & Flatbread with cheese and herbs.
I love big heirloom tomatoes and eat them sliced alone, on bread with mayo, and now on bread with cheese and herbs.
Heirloom Tomatoes & Flatbread
Use organic when available, serves 6
- 1 roll Italian pizza dough (about 15 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
- 2 tablespoons garlic spice paste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 lb heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F or 204 C
- Place dough onto lightly greased or nonstick pizza pan
- Brush crust with 1 tablespoon oil & bake 12–15 minutes or until crust is lightly golden
- Chop herbs and combine in small bowl
- Combine cheeses, egg, garlic paste, 6 tablespoons herb mixture, and crushed red pepper in a large bowl
- Mix until blended
- Spread ricotta mixture over crust, leaving a 1-inch border
- Bake 8–10 more minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is hot
- Slice tomatoes 1/4-inch-thick
- Place tomato slices on pizza in an even layer and season with salt, pepper, & remaining herb mixture
- Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil
- Cut into squares and serve
This post was featured at
Choose all posts for everything or just what you like!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.