I’ve seen many variations on this cool summer salad, but the main ingredients are cold chucks of watermelon with feta and red onions in a vinaigrette. You can add halved grape tomatoes or a chopped cucumber with the lettuce of your choice or just eat plain watermelon and feta with herbs. Summer is such a great time to mix fresh flavors for an easy meal. It’s great to know you can use what you have in the fridge and still have a tasty dish.
Watermelon is economical for feeding a group of people at a summer get-together. It’s also not only tasty but a healthier treat with lower calories and lots of antioxidants. Serve it with or without lettuce to fit your taste buds.
Watermelon Feta Salad
Use organic when available, serves 12
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 2 lb watermelon
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups lettuce
- 1 cup chopped red onions
- 8 oz grape tomatoes halved (optional)
- 1 large cucumber chopped (optional)
- Cut feta and watermelon into small pieces
- Whisk oil , vinegar and salt together
- Place melon, lettuce, onions and tomatoes or cucumbers in salad bowl
- Add 1/2 cheese
- Add vinaigrette & gently toss to coat
- Garnish with rest of cheese
For a great presentation at a cookout, scoop watermelon out of rind. Serve the salad in the watermelon rind.
Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please see my Link Parties page for the parties where this post was shared.