Recently on Facebook, I saw an interesting post about an anti-inflammatory dish, Curried Chickpeas with Tart Cherries. I love cherries including tart cherries. Tart Cherries are little powerhouses fighting inflammation. Most diseases like arthritis and heart disease are inflammatory conditions. Sonia and Alex at A Couple of Cooks, believe that food can be medicine. I agree.
They made this simple curry packed full of anti-inflammatory foods like chickpeas, kale, turmeric, ginger, brown rice, and tomatoes. I had to give it a try. It was simple to make and quite tasty. I’ve added it to my recipes that I use frequently. My only substitution was fresh tomatoes instead of canned. I like to limit my use of canned food due to concerns over BPA and other contaminants.
Even if you don’t care about inflammation, I think you’re going to love this inexpensive and yummy dish.
Curried Chickpeas With Tart Cherries
Serves 4 – 6
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 1 small bunch kale
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 15-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Brown rice, to serve
- Prepare brown rice according to package instructions
- Roughly chop tart cherries
- Chop the kale
- Drain & rinse the chickpeas
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and saute onion 5 minutes
- Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, and ginger and stir for 30 seconds
- Carefully add the tomatoes and coconut milk
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer
- Add the chickpeas, kale, cherries, and salt
- Simmer for about 15 minutes until the kale is wilted and tender, and the curry is slightly thickened
- Taste and add salt to taste
- Serve with cooked brown rice
Recipe courtesy of Sonja Overhiser, acouplecooks.com
Get exclusive free printables & all the news straight to your mailbox!
Please note as of 2/24/18, I have added a Link Parties page listing where I party.