One of the prime pleasures of summer is ripe, juicy watermelon. Watermelon is not only delicious but also very nutritious. As I wrote last summer, (Watermelon’s Great Health Benefits), this red fruit is filled with antioxidants, lycopene, vitamins, and minerals. As a matter of fact, ripe watermelon has more lycopene than tomatoes. It is low in sodium, calories and fat. What could be better than healthy food that has great taste?
Many of us grill veggies and fruits to bring out flavor and add a new dimension to its taste. I found this recipe last year and it’s perfect for cookouts on hot summer days.
- 8 slices seedless watermelon, cut approximately 3 inches long by 1 1/2 inch thick
- 1 t fresh lime zest
- 2 t fresh lime juice
- 4 T crumbled feta cheese
- Small handful fresh mint leaves
- Heat a grill over medium-high heat and oil the grill rack.
- Pat the melon slices dry with a paper towel and place on grill.
- You don’t want to cook your watermelon, you simply want to give it delicious grill marks that will be packed with flavor. A couple of minutes on each side should do the trick.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with lime zest and drizzle with lime juice.
- Sprinkle feta, mint and salt on top of the watermelon and serve.
A tasty delight sure to please everyone.
This post was featured on
Grilled Watermelon With Feta and Mint Was Featured on Simplify Wednesday